Van Patten House
Syracuse, Onondaga Co., NY
                          Name:        The Van Patten House
                          Address:        West Onondaga and South Salina Streets
                          Constructed:        1820
                          Demolished:         1930

With this house the early traditions were extended. In common with the
Fairchild House, the facade is divided by pilasters, now capped with the
Roman Doric order, and the gables remain inconspicuously on the ends. The
smooth clapboards, characteristic of both Adam and Greek Revival treatment,
are again utilized. From here there is a wide variance, chiefly due to the nicely
proportioned side wings and the direct beginning of a full entablature. The
windows, too, have acquired a new perfection. The porch is an unfortunate
feature of the Victorian period.

It is difficult today to visualize this structure on the site of the present Chimes
Building in the midst of downtown Syracuse, but in 1820 South Salina Street
was a corduroy road, this house a tavern-boarding house. To the south was but
a dense forest.
Capt. Andrew N. Van Patten, who had a packet boat line on the
Erie Canal, built the house only to lose it in 1829 on an election bet and it
eventually became the home of Samuel B. Larned. Shortly after the above
view was taken in 1880, the structure was moved to South Clinton Street
where it became the boyhood home of Howard R. Garis, writer of "Uncle
Wriggly" stories. With its razing in 1930, Syracuse lost much of her early
heritage.
Photo taken: 1880     Photo courtesy of Mr. E. Q. Williams
Home / Surnames